A procedure and policy manual helps employees and volunteers understand the day-to-day operations of the church. It also gives them a reference point to complete or address any unfamiliar tasks or situations. The manual should be divided into sections on each department's functions and responsibilities.
Create several headings referring to each department, such as Administrative, Pastoral, Teaching, Building Maintenance, Meetings and Chain of Command.
Write an overview of each department and the types of things they generally handle.
Create a separate page with a separate heading for each function. Examples include “Cash Handling” under the Administrative department, “Marriage Counseling” under the Pastoral Department, and “Sanctuary Cleaning” under Building Maintenance.
Compile a list of simple steps which should be followed in order to complete each function.
Create a table of contents with the major departments as headings and individual procedures listed under each department. Include the page number the procedure starts on. Place the table of contents at the beginning of the manual.
Create a title page with the name of your church procedure and policy manual and put it in the front.
- Create the procedure and policy manual on a word processing software so the document can be updated and revised as needed. Print out copies as needed rather than making several copies upfront that may just need to be changed later.
- Always include a disclaimer that any life-threatening emergencies should be addressed by calling 911. Add a disclaimer explaining who has the final say in certain matters and that the content of the manual is subject to change.
Items you will need
- Word processing software (optional)
- Internet Connection (optional)
- Photos.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images