How to Obtain Your DD Form 214 Separation Record Using eVetRecs

by Contributor

DD Form 214, Report of Separation, is a military document as important as your birth certificate or Social Security card. You will need this document to apply for a VA home loan, to obtain GI benefits and to exercise veteran's preference when applying for employment. If you have lost your original DD Form 214, you may acquire a new copy with a few clicks of the mouse.

Access the National Archives website, Click on "Veterans' Service Records."

Click on "Learn about military service records (e.g. DD Form 214)."

Click on "Use our eVetRecs system to create your request."

Click on "Launch the eVetRec System to start your request Online."

Complete the four-step process following instructions provided by the website.


  • If you prefer traditional paper processing, a Form SF-180 can be filed and mailed to complete this process, but the transaction time will increase.


  • The DD 214 Form is not issued until you have separated from the military. If you are not officially separated from the military, this form has not been issued.
  • Remember, only the veteran or the next of kin to a deceased veteran can request a copy of military service records.

Items you will need

  • Computer
  • Internet Access
  • Website Addresses
  • Printer


About the Author

This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.