Proverbs 3:5,6 gives a blueprint for how to be lead by God. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV). The following steps analyzes each part of these two verses to show us how we can follow the path God has for us.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart."(Proverbs 3:5) This is the key to our relationship with God- to trust in Him with all of our hearts. We know from the New Testament that this can only be accomplished through faith in His Son.
"Lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5) Once we know we are trusting God, we must be conscious not to trust on or in anything else including our own understanding and wisdom. When we do trust in these other things we tend to misinterpret the messages that God is giving us. This makes it easy for us to be deceived into thinking that God is leading us in a direction where we want to go when he is in fact not.
"In all your ways acknowledge him" (Proverbs 3:6) Always give credit to God and not take any yourself. Remember, everything good comes from above. As things go right in your life, give credit to the one who deserves it. Even the air that we breathe is His. As He opens doors and blesses us, we must be sure to give Him the glory.
"He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:6) Once we have been trusting God, not relying on ourselves, and continually acknowledging Him we will see clearly the way in which He wants us to go. He will direct our paths and help us to go in the right direction.
Know that God has Plans for You This is a continual process because God has great plans for us. Read the how-to entitled "How to Understand Jeremiah 29:11" (http://www.ehow.com/how_2251076_understand-jeremiah-specifically-jeremiah.html)
- Read Your Bible Regularly
- Make Prayer a Part of Your Life
- Spread the Good News that is in You
- The main warning is built right into Proverbs 3:5 where it says "and lean not to your own understanding." It is human nature, pride, and a part of American culture to think we can do anything. We need to make sure that we humbly trust in God, knowing that we can do nothing apart from Him.
Items you will need
- An Open Heart
- Trust in God
- A Bible
- Photo by DrGBB at flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29968788@N00/2227885657/in/set-72157603847575153/)